5 Mistakes to Avoid Before You Start a Kitchen Renovation
Kitchen renovation is not an easy task, it is a time-consuming and costly event, therefore it is so important that everything is carefully thought out and planned before you start a kitchen renovation to avoid common mistakes.
5 questions to ask yourself before you start a kitchen renovation
The first and most important factor in the renovation of the kitchen is the proper planning of upcoming work. Whether it’s your first kitchen renovation or you are a professional, you should ask yourself 5 important questions that can help you avoid common mistakes.
What are the average kitchen renovation costs?
The first question that comes to mind after thinking about renovation is related to the average price of it. Of course, you need to realize what exactly you want to change in your kitchen as the price will depend on your ideas.
You need to think about what exactly you want to change to avoid surprises. Maybe you only want to change the furniture or the idea of a complete renovation of the kitchen is in your head. As for the average cost, it can be up to $50,000 for a complete kitchen renovation.
Many factors affect the price one way or another, such as the flooring material or the equipment that you will need. Try to think through every detail in detail and make a budget, adding 20-25% over to it to cope with surprises.
You need to think about what you really need and what you will use more often to save on other things. For example, if you constantly use a stove or oven, it’s not the best idea to save money on it. Before the renovation begins, it is better to make a complete shopping list and set up a budget that you will stick to.
PRO tip: In case you want to avoid pointless expenses on something that won’t match your whole project, you can make samples and carry them around with you.
Do I need a kitchen renovation contractor?
The next thing to think about is contractors. If you want to save money and meet your budget, as well as do everything quickly and efficiently, then you need to find qualified contractors.
There are quite a lot of ways to find them: you can ask around from friends, search the Internet or go around companies near your home. But do not immediately choose the one and only one. To begin with, choose several contractors, talk to them. It will be better if you can see examples of their work, prices for services, and evaluate your capabilities. Then you will be able to choose a specific contractor based on the best price for you.
Here are some tips that can help you choose and hire contractors:
- Ask for proof of insurance. Contractors should carry personal liability, workers’ compensation, and property damage coverage.
- Consult with your local building department to find out local licensing requirements. Ask to see the contractor’s license and make sure it’s current.
- Ask for a list of references, and call at least three. Find out what projects the contractor has completed in the last year.
- If hiring a general contractor, find out what subcontractors they will hire.
- Interview more than one contractor for the job and ask for written proposals/estimates.
- Specify whether the contractor has its own production.
- Check with the company whether it has a technical supervision department, how the quality control of construction is carried out, what documentation is carried out during the construction process.
By hiring a contractor, you save yourself from the need to make calculations, make a work plan to find out the price of repairs, select and purchase materials. Contractors provide a full range of kitchen improvement services.
Where to find a kitchen renovation design?
The main mistake in the renovation is not to seek help from professional designers. Some people believe that they can cope with kitchen renovation themselves, but in the end, it may happen that there will be no room in the kitchen at all and every time you are in the kitchen you will be stressed. Do you really want this?
The kitchen designer knows tricks that you don’t know about. Here are some things that you’ve probably never thought about but with the help of which designers will be able to improve the kitchen.
Perhaps the most important thing that the designer will help with is the development of kitchen areas for each task you will do in the room, like cooking, supply storage, and food preparation. Proper kitchen design will reduce the time spent on cooking. Ideally, the kitchen should include work zones for the following:
- Foods. Storage for groceries, including non-perishable items, refrigerated and frozen foods
- Dishes, Etc. Space for dishes, glasses, cutlery, and odds-and-ends, such as scissors or desk items
- Cleaning. An area for recycling/waste management with recycling bins and trash cans, and space for household cleaning items
- Food Preparation. The main work area with access to utensils, knives, small appliances, cutting boards, mixing bowls, etc.
- Cooking. Where you’ll find pots, pans, bakeware, cooling racks, etc.
No less important is the correct lighting. It illuminates workspaces, such as countertops where you are prepping food or inside a pantry closet so you can see what goods are stocked on those shelves.
Do you want a kitchen island but don’t know how to fit it into your project? Whether you have a big kitchen or not, designers can help you and suggest different ideas that suit your kitchen. So, no more head pains and stress.
If the budget is not very limited, and you think that you cannot cope with this task on your own, then it is better to use the services of a professional designer. Remember, if you have any questions or ideas on how to make your kitchen more comfortable, or you probably have dreamt about something special, this service is what you exactly need.
How long do kitchen renovations take?
Kitchen renovation isn’t a matter of just one weekend. It can take weeks or months to complete and might involve a general contractor, designers, plumbers, or even architects. However, you should accept that the more you renovate the kitchen the more you live without it.
Experts estimate an average kitchen renovation project can last up to 9 weeks, depending on the scope of work. Large kitchens with complex refurbishing could take anything between 10 and 12 weeks while carrying out a full larger kitchen remodeling project could take about 3-5 months.
But If all materials are ready and available on the worksite, a kitchen can be installed in as little as three weeks.
With that in mind, try to find backup options and think ahead of where you will be cooking, eating, and washing the dishes during this period of renovation.
How to survive a kitchen renovation?
When you’ve made all decisions and have a set budget, it’s time for demolition and you’ve got to function in a home under construction. You’ll realize the kitchen is the epicenter of the home and you’ll face difficulties of living without this space or at least working around the mess. But living in dust for a while is worth the reward of a new kitchen.
Here you can find tips that can save your time and make your life during renovation easier.
- Set up a makeshift kitchen with microwave, coffeemaker and oven.
- Wash dishes in your bathroom but it would be much better to use paper plates and cups.
- Buy ready-made food or use food delivery from restaurants.
- If you have a grill cook meals outdoors when the weather allows it.
As you can see there are plenty of things you need to consider before renovating your kitchen. Your design choices will impact how much money and time you spend on renovation and how much time you spend on tidying later.
The kitchen is the heart of the house, the center of family life, so it is very important that it is not only beautiful but also comfortable. That is why everything mentioned in this article should be carefully considered.